An original idea from:
What it is
FameLab is an international scientific talks competition which started up in 2005 from an original idea at Cheltenham Festival, with the main purpose of nurturing the communication of science by identifying, training and introducing new talents, new spokespeople working in science, with an innovative format: short scientific talks.
Since 2007, thanks to a partnership with the British Council, FameLab has gone global, with competitions now held in more than 30 countries across Europe, Asia, Africa and also the US. Globally more than 10 000 people have taken part in FameLab competitions
In Spain, seven editions have already been held and have proved to be a complete success. They have filled theatres and have promoted a new scientific diffusion format that has made major inroads: the scientific talk, programmed by cultural organisations throughout the country.
Spanish Foundation for Science and Technology and the British Council Spain are launching the eighth edition of Famelab España.
The competition in Spain this year consists of the following stages (more details in the& Rules Section):
- 1st stage: Participation and selection – Those interested can take part via the competition Website from Tuesday 26 November 2019 until Wednesday 15 January 2020. The organisers will then make an initial selection of participants who will then go on to the second phase, which involves video-recorded presentations.
- 2nd stage: Preliminary encounter and semi-final – Those selected at the first phase will have a personal encounter for training purposes in Madrid. In Spring there will be a semi-final for those selected in a public event.
- 3rd stage: MasterClass - Those selected for the final of Famelab España 2020 will take part in a Masterclass which will take place on a weekend. The masterclass will be given in English by experts in communication techniques so as to polish up their oral expression and enhance their communication skills.
- 4th stage: National final - The national final will take place in May 2020 in Madrid. The jury will select a winner to take part in the international final at the Cheltenham Science Festival.
- 5th stage: International final: The Spanish winner will take part in the FameLab International final at the Cheltenham Science Festival (June 2020). More information on the festival at http://www.cheltenhamfestivals.com/.